Whether you work from home on a regular basis or if working remotely is the new normal for you since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have some tech tips that are sure to make your workday more efficient and productive.
1. Find a designated Workspace
We all have a dream of working from the couch in our pajamas covered in warm blankets but let’s face it, we can’t focus and efficiently work when we are so relaxed that we’re falling asleep after every other task! Set up all of your devices in one space with plenty of power outlets nearby. This would work best at a desk or a table in a study or spare bedroom. If you don’t have enough power outlets, invest in a power strip to give you ample plug-in space.
2. Ensure the technology you are using is of high quality.
When working from home, you will need good quality technology across the board. You will need a functioning computer, phone, and you’ll also need fast WiFi. Dealing with tech issues throughout your workday can significantly set you back when it comes to productivity.
3. Use a task management application, website, or software.
Let’s be honest, sometimes we have so much to do, writing it down in a planner just won’t work. Keep track of all the tasks you need to complete on a task management app. This will help you stay focused, on track, and organized.
4. Utilize video calls.
Instead of the mundane phone calls, keep your workday exciting and use video chat to communicate with your coworkers and clients. There are three major benefits to this:
- Communication is more efficient when you are able to see the person’s facial expressions and hand gestures that you are speaking with.
- It gives you a reason to change out of your pajamas and encourages you to put a little effort into getting ready in the morning.
- Video chat helps you to not feel so lonely throughout the workday – we all need a little human interaction to keep our sanity!
5. Install a reliable and trusted security program on your devices.
Most of the time when working from home, employees are working from personal devices. Since remote employees don’t have the luxury of having the company’s technology protection that someone working in an office might have, it’s important to personally purchase and download a security software yourself. In some cases, an employer might offer to fund security software for you!
Working from home can be a very different experience from what working in an office is like. You have to keep yourself motivated and hold yourself accountable day in and day out. But most importantly, you need to use technology for your benefit. If you are a small business owner who works from home, or you are now being forced to work from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic, contact Lex Technology to learn more about our IT solutions. We can help you stay on top during this challenging season while also improving the functions of your business.